Da Porch

💓 Enjoy💔


Every neighborhood has its unwritten initiation, that hollow threshold every kid watches from a distance until the day the weight of wanting to belong finally overrides the fear. For me, that line was crossed on October 16, 1993, my sixteenth birthday. The quiet safety of home wasn't enough to fill the void of a teenager aching to be seen, desperate for a badge of acceptance that only the streets seemed to hand out. When I crossed paths with a few guys from the hallways, I didn’t hesitate. I threw myself straight into whatever they were chasing. That day, it was hunting down a car to steal—not out of necessity, but for the raw rush of adrenaline and the hollow pride of bragging about it in class the next morning.

We came up empty-handed, walking away with nothing to show for the risk. But that didn't matter. Just showing up, just standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the danger, was my baptism. It was the grim birthday gift I gave myself, the moment that branded me an official jumper.

With that single step, the world cracked open in a heavy, suffocating way. I was handed backstage access to the places where real stakes lived—the corners scattered across different blocks inside the box, and the harsher hustling grounds just beyond them. Looking back, those corners were our brutal version of a day-labor hub: a desperate, raw marketplace where young guys posted up for hours, starving for a way to make a dollar, to matter, to simply survive.

Those corners didn’t stay temporary meeting spots. Over time, they morphed into traps, and eventually, into fully established trap houses where the stakes turned lethal. Stepping off that porch gave me the exact status I thought I was starving for, but the price was devastating. It chained my heart to a perpetual state of high-stakes survival, locking me into a life where the tension never let up, and the ground beneath my feet could give way at any second.

                                                                
                                                   

         Those corners didn't just have a pulse; they thrummed with a manic, dizzying rhythm that got under your skin. Living out there felt like staring straight at a television screen with your finger permanently glued to the remote, flipping channels in a frantic blur where chaos just bled into more chaos, offering no pause, no breath, and no way out.

Taking you back to 1993, that’s the year I collided headfirst with the ugly reality of my very first true street moment. As the days rolled on, I found myself surrounded by every breed of jumper prospects and fresh faces who were only a year or two off Da Porch themselves. By some strange twist of fate, the guy destined to be my first real enemy kept drifting into the exact spots I haunted. Back then, he didn’t even register as a threat to me. I saw him as a young adult moving in a different circle, while I was just a pup, wet behind the ears, a sixteenth-year-old kid desperately trying to figure out how to stand tall in a world that demanded you never show softness.

It happened on an ordinary school day, just another routine afternoon inside the box. Wiggie and I, and the same people I’d taken that reckless leap off the porch with when my street days were brand new, headed over to a newly opened game room right around our block. We hung out, watching our peers crowd the machines, until our crew naturally drifted outside toward Frenchmen near North Villere. We were just standing around kicking it in front of a house, completely oblivious to the fact that we were standing on the exact doorstep of where my life was about to pivot.

Words started flying back and forth. Honestly, the sheer trauma of that entire ordeal shook my memory so hard I can't even recall how the spark was lit. But we went back and forth, trading jabs, and I guess I lyrically got the better of him, hitting a nerve so raw and sharp that he snapped. Before I even registered what was happening, he struck me.

In a split second, panic and blind adrenaline hijacked my body. A scuffle exploded into the air, and fueled by a white-hot, uncontrollable rage, I bolted straight home to grab a weapon—some swore it was a gun, others said a knife, but in that haze, it was just survival and vengeance. All I remember through that suffocating red fog was the sound of my dad’s heavy footsteps sprinting right behind me, his hands frantically patting me down, his voice urgently demanding the weapon before I could cross a line I couldn't uncross.

I broke down completely right there in the dirt, sobbing and screaming, half out of my mind, shouting that God only knew what I was going to do to him.

Then came my dad’s voice, steady, unflinching, cutting straight through the hurricane of my panic: To get through this, you have to know how, and that game you're about to go and play? No one wins.

The fight drained out of me like air escaping a punctured lung. I handed him whatever I had, turned around, and walked back inside that greenish house, weeping openly in my father's arms. I was utterly broken down, stripped of all my false bravado, yet somehow saved from a path with no return.





Facing a crossroad like that leaves jagged scars, but stepping back from the absolute brink didn't just alter my path it saved a life that was already slipping through my fingers. The most brutal part wasn't the explosive flash of the fight itself. It was the suffocating, heavy silence of the aftermath. Walking back out into the open meant running a gauntlet of whispers, sideways glances, and the burning acid of hallway gossip cutting deep into my skin. Every single look from the crowd felt like a neon sign flashing my own stupidity, a constant, humiliating reminder of how close I had come to throwing my entire future away on a fragile, hollow sense of pride.

Yet, as time clears the smoke, what hits me hardest isn't the mockery; it was the stark, chilling reality in the eyes of the people who watched it all unfold. I saw that quiet, collective realization, the unspoken relief hanging in the air around me like a ghost. It was a terrifying wake-up call written in real-time. I stared straight into the ghost of my own tragic obituary, knowing down to my marrow that if my father’s hands hadn't physically pinned me down in that dirt, if he hadn't intercepted my blind rage, I wouldn’t be here to tell the story. I wouldn't have survived the tomorrow waiting for me.

In the dark hours afterward, the temptation to chase it was a physical ache. The urge to run back, arm up, and hunt down that fleeting illusion of "respect" just to prove a point screamed at me from every corner of my mind. But instead of letting that blinding adrenaline drag me under for good, I had to learn how to drag myself out. Breaking down like a child in my father's arms wasn't the weakness I feared; it was the anchor that hauled me back from the edge, binding me to a future I had almost casually thrown away.

 Thank you 

Da Beginning   

Coming 3/2/26







Comments